Thursday, March 20, 2008

O.K. I get it!

"Are you ready for this earthquake?" U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Tom Brocher asked last week at a meeting of the California Emergency Services Association. "I hope you are because this earthquake is ready for you."

I get it people. I'm scared. I realize that I'm going to experience the next big catastrophe. The big difference? People aren't so poor here, we won't get the outreach that Hurricane Katrina survivors get, because honestly, who wants to help the rich?

Who wants to help an area where the average income is around $75,000 a year, and that is for the people on the lower end of the scale. Also, who wants to help an area that gets headlines like: Get ready for the Big One on a weekly basis, yet only 10 percent are equipped with the proper insurance?

Anyway, all money aside. I'm scared. I'm extremely scared. I hate earthquakes, and apparently I live on the hotbed of American earthquakes. There is no matter of if the next one will strike, it will most definitely be when.

I toss and turn some nights just waiting for it to happen. But seriously what else is there I can do? I mean I already check this site on a weekly basis, or any time I think I feel something,

Anyway if you want to read up on the most recent article to scare my socks off, here it is in all its catastrophic glory:

Next major earthquake on the Hayward fault will be catastrophic

And when it happens, I hope you'll all think of me and hope I'm not having a severe panic attack when it does. (The last quake I was in, a measly 5.3, I almost hyperventilated).

No comments: