Sunday, July 27, 2008

I didn't like The Dark Knight

So I didn't like The Dark Knight. There I said it. And I know I am probably the only one on Earth that feels this way, but I really didn't like it and here is why:

I didn't like Christian Bale as Batman in this movie (let me preface this by saying I did like him in Batman Begins). I guess I don't really like how Batman was portrayed in this movie. He was too brooding, I get it he was supposed to be transitioning to The Dark Knight, but it was just awkward to watch because I didn't believe his performance, I thought it was weak.

And what the heck was with the deep Batman voice, it was way too deep and off balance. It was freaking overkill.

I also didn't believe that Maggie Gyllenhaal's character was sexy. Not at all, and I don't get why she seemed so unattainable. I get that Batman has this past with her, but what the hell does Harvey Dent see in her. I did not feel her emotional connection with either Batman or Harvey Dent. And can I say she looked old, tired and haggard during the film, which didn't really add to her character's appeal (but I still love her as an actress, just not in this role).

The plot went here, there and every where and tried to throw in tricks here and there. I was able to predict those surprises before they happened, which didn't really impress me considering all the hype this movie has received. I also thought the plot had too many elements in it, I found it hard to follow at times.

The only redeemable thing about this movie (and let's face it, it's mostly the reason so many people will see this movie) is to see the extremely chilling and creepy performance of the Joker by Heath Ledger. It was amazing and the most brilliant portrayal of the Joker, but I can tell you I really felt morbid watching it all.

So overall I really did not like this movie. It was worth going to to see The Joker, but other than that the rest of the movie really failed to impress me. And I do not understand all the hype. Seriously, people seeing it 3-4 times? I don't get it. I don't think I want to see it again.

This movie, in my humble opinion, is getting too much hype. WAY too much hype.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I HATED this movie! I'm glad I'm not the only one! All this action-packed bullshit is really getting on my nerves. Don't people think about movies anymore? Of course not! They just want to be entertained. I'm gonna go scream at something again because I wasted ten dollars on the suckfest. I think I'm gonna watch INLAND EMPIRE or Mulholland Dr. again...